“The absence of a high-ranking American diplomat at a key transatlantic meeting will be “extremely unusual,” the publication writes.”, — write: www.unian.ua
The absence of a high-ranking American diplomat at a key transatlantic meeting will be “extremely unusual,” the publication writes.
Rubio is likely to miss the meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels on December 3 / photo by Getty ImagesUS Secretary of State Marco Rubio is likely to miss the meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Brussels on December 3. This was reported to Reuters by two American officials.
It is noted that the absence of a high-ranking American diplomat at a key transatlantic meeting will be “extremely unusual.” According to the publication, Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau will represent Washington at the meeting.
Reuters does not know why Rubio plans to miss the ministers’ meeting, but, according to the publication, “his likely absence comes as U.S. and Ukrainian officials try to narrow differences over President Donald Trump’s plan to end Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and some European diplomats complain that they are being left out of the process.”
“Typically, there are two official meetings of NATO foreign ministers per year, and it is extremely rare for the US Secretary of State to be absent. In 2017, during Trump’s first term, then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson initially planned to skip the April meeting, although the meeting was later postponed to accommodate his schedule,” the article reads.
A State Department spokesman declined to comment to the publication about Rubio’s possible absence from the ministerial meeting and said Rubio recently met with several European officials in Switzerland. A senior State Department official also said that Rubio attends a sufficient number of meetings, saying that he has already attended dozens of meetings with NATO allies, and “it would be completely impractical to expect him to attend every meeting.”
“Ukrainian and European officials fear that they may be forced to agree to an agreement that is too favorable to Russian interests. These fears have increased significantly since a draft 28-point plan to end the war appeared in the media on November 18. Rubio’s absence risks deepening questions about Washington’s commitment to European security, which has already suffered in recent years,” writes Reuters.
The position of the USA in the negotiations regarding UkraineAs UNIAN previously reported, US President Donald Trump wants to recognize Crimea and Donbas as part of the Russian Federation in order to persuade the Kremlin to conclude an agreement to end the war. The Telegraph noted that it is with such a proposal that he is sending his special envoy Steve Witkoff and his own son-in-law Jared Kushner to Moscow.
We also wrote that the US wants to conclude a peace agreement before providing security guarantees to Ukraine. According to Politico’s interlocutors, this condition was emphasized in American proposals to Kyiv during the past week.
You may also be interested in news:
- The test launch of the Sarmat nuclear missile in the Russian Federation ended in an epic failure (video)
- In Germany, Trump was called “Nero from Washington”, and the peace plan – a “pact of obedience”
- Two tankers of the “shadow fleet” of the Russian Federation are on fire near the shores of Turkey
